Dan Wells 7 Point Story Structure
- Dan Wells 7 Point Story Structure Youtube series
- Powerpoint of the presentation content, shared from Wells website.
- Blog posts on the framework – Writing A Short Story
- WordHunter's overview of variations on the 7-Point Structure
The 3-Act Structure
The Four Act / Two-Body Mystery Structure
The Hero's Journey & variations
- The best resource is Joseph Campbell's book The Hero With a Thousand Faces. It introduced the concept of the hero's journey and essentially started the field of comparative mythology. If the book is too academic for you (and it is for a lot of people!) then start with any of the many documentaries on Netfilx or YouTube
- The Virgin's Promise by Kim Hudson. A variation that emphasizes the feminine archetype, with a focus on creative, sexual, or emotional awakenings.
- The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler. A variation that emphasizes using the Hero's Journey as a writing tool, rather than an analytical one.
Dan Harmon's Story Circle
- The best resource is Harmon's own tutorial series at Channel 101
The Story Grid -- Lots of info on Genre
- The entirety of Shawn Coyne's Story Grid system is available online at StoryGrid.com
- If you prefer audio, check out The Story Grid podcast
These links really only scratch the surface. There are literally thousands of books, podcasts, and courses that go over these same concepts in one way or another. (Here's my list of favorite story related podcasts.)
Business of Fiction
- The Submissions Grinder
- Dark Markets
- Jason Sanford's Genre Gossip
- Publishers Marketplace
- Query Tracker
- Critters Offers a number of critique groups, but leans heavily to speculative fiction.
- Critique Circle Offers a number of genres.
- Iowas Writers Workshop MOOC A free, online course from the prestigious Iowa Writers Workshop. Leans heavily to literary fiction. Offers a few different focuses and classes over the course of a year.